BBQ Fire Safety
Warm Weather Means More BBQ’s
Summer is just around the corner, and that means hot weather, lots of sunshine and that it’s time to dust off the old BBQ Grill and get it in prime cooking conditions! Summer BBQ’s are great and they lead to lots of fond memories, but they can mean big trouble if you aren’t safe! When having a BBQ make sure to be aware of your surroundings and inspect your BBQ. Summer BBQ Fires are actually very common, and most BBQ fires are avoidable! We’re going to discuss some basic do’s and don’ts of BBQ fire safety along with some practical tips and facts for you to stay safe this BBQ season.
LEADING CAUSES OF BBQ FIRES ARE:
1. Failure to properly clean the BBQ before using it
2. Keeping the BBQ too close to flammable material
3. Leaks or breaks
4. Gas grills account for 83% of home grill fires
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO STAY SAFE DURING A BBQ?
1. Clean your BBQ thoroughly to make sure any leftover grease or food residue is removed. Leftover grease can easily catch on fire and turn your BBQ Grill into a ball of fire.
2. Before turning on your BBQ Grill make sure the surrounding area that will be affected by the heat is free of anything that can catch on fire.
3. Make sure your BBQ is properly maintained and check for any leaks or breaks. Simply giving your grill a quick look over can help you identify any potentially damaged components that can spell trouble for you.
4. Keep an eye on your BBQ! Many people like to leave their grill unattended while the food cooks, but this can spell trouble. Leaving a BBQ unattended during use can allow a small fire to get out of control.
These tips can help you maintain a safe BBQ environment, which will help you focus on having a fun, great time with friends and loved ones. Stay safe and make sure to have fun this BBQ season!